Burlington teachers reach tentative agreement with Burlington School Board in record time

After only three months of negotiations, the Burlington School District and Burlington Education Association (BEA) have reached a tentative agreement on a one year contract.  The previous two contract cycles were protracted and contentious. They were stalled by two consecutive teacher strike votes and a teacher strike that lasted four days in September of 2017.  

“This contract will go from July 1st 2019 to the end of August 2020.  We can only contract for one year because the state is moving to a statewide teachers healthcare contract in July of 2020,” Dan Hagan, chief negotiator for the BEA and BHS history teacher, said.   

Details will not be released until it is ratified by both parties.  Hagan said the teachers will have a ratification vote on January 10th and the school board vote will follow that same evening.

“We think it is a strong contract.  We were fortunate to work collaboratively with the new school board to address common goals for students in the schools,”  Hagan said.

Burlington paraeducator contract negotiations are just beginning.