The Student News Site of Burlington High School

BHS Register

BHS Register

BHS Register

BREAKING: Superintendent Yaw Obeng to step down in June

Photo: Courtesy Burlington School District / Superintendent Yaw Obeng (right) pictured above with Burlington Mayor Miro Weinberger (left).

Burlington, VT – At 9:33 this morning, Burlington Superintendent of Schools Yaw Obeng sent an email addressed to BSD Community announcing his resignation. 

“This decision has not been an easy one, but the rebuilt structures and stability will allow for a pathway of continuous progress,” the email read. It went on to reference the various student achievements that happened during Obeng’s tenure. 

Obeng noted the timing of this announcement, saying he wanted to provide the Burlington School District (BSD) with “the best opportunity for a successful transition.” The Burlington Board of School Commissioners will have to hire a new Superintendent of Schools for the fiscal year 20-21. 

“Our staff is feeling good about the work, I believe that students are feeling good about their schools and their peers, so this is a good time to make the transition,” Obeng told The Register

Obeng, who was hired from the Halton School District in Ontario, Canada in 2015, said that his decision to leave stems from his own period of reflection.  

“This has nothing to do with any processes around the district at all,” Obeng said. “This has to do with me, just my own personal and professional growth.”

As for what comes next, Obeng is uncertain. 

“I’ve always had interests in a variety of things in the education realm,” Obeng said. “I’ve had offers previously but I haven’t [taken them], because I still felt that there was work to be done here.”

The Burlington Board of School Commissioners could not be reached for comment.