From Spartan races to new faces

Meet new Assistant Principal Jada Payea
Jada Payea is the new interim Assistant Principal at BHS
Jada Payea

Jada Payea loves a challenge: from competing in grueling Spartan races to taking on a new role as Interim Assistant Principal.

“I’ve always been someone who really enjoyed continuing to grow and learn,” Payea said, “I had another career before I became an educator, and so this just seems like another thing for me to explore and try on for size.” 

Before taking this position, Payea was a science teacher at the Horizons alternative program, and before that she was a large animal veterinary technician working on sheep, goats, horses, cows and even a camel named Otis. 

“She’s been really eager to learn as much as she can,” Assistant Principal Sara Crothers said. “She’s been great about stepping up and helping out.”

In her free time, Payea enjoys competing in Spartan races. According to the Spartan website, racers must overcome obstacles that require cardiovascular fitness, strength and mobility. Obstacles can include barbed wire, rope climbing and hoists, but they are a surprise each time. After doing her first race with a group of friends, Payea was hooked and has now completed 36 races. 

“My favorite part is in the moment when I’m climbing a mountain for the sixth or seventh time. It’s pretty miserable. Everyone is exhausted and you’re worn out, and when it’s mile 13 or 14 you’re just questioning your life choices,” Payea said. “But when you finish and you get your medal, you’re registering for another one. You’ve overcome that mental game. And that, to me, is both the most difficult and the most rewarding.”

When it comes to challenges at school, Payea stressed the importance of hearing student voices and wants to put more emphasis on restorative practices. 

“I know that [restorative practices] have gotten lost with all of the leadership transition. I think they’re a really strong approach to managing relationships with students and holding students accountable, while also helping them be a part of the problem-solving process,” Payea said. 

She hopes that students can be at the center of these practices. 

“The goal is always that students take control of that, and they’re the ones saying we need to have a conversation and they’re working on fostering a culture of care and empathy.” 

She’s been working with the Restorative Practice Peer Mediation Group to help implement this. 

“The goal of peer mediation would be to create a safe and accepting place for students who don’t feel as though they can go to adults for problems,” peer mediator Dieuna Beynnon ‘26 said.

Adults are still needed to help connect this group with students who are in need of these services. This is where Payea has been stepping up. 

“She’s very persistent, which helps. I think she’s the only one that’s found us an actual case,” Beynnon said. 

Payea wants to emphasize that she’s approachable. 

“I think the most important part of my job is the students. So if my door’s open, people are welcome. I really want to meet as many students as possible.”