The bumpy road to recovery
A Winning Recipe

Review of Hong’s Dumplings

I went to Hong’s Dumplings on Pearl Street for the first time last year. After hearing about their delicious food from multiple people, a friend of mine (who had also recommended it) decided to take me; and oh did the food live up to its praise. We ordered four pork dumplings (larger than the average dumpling) which was 10 dollars, and took them to go. We sat in Battery Park, grease trickling down our hands as we dug in. Like my mom and grandmother always say, “the greasier the food the better”. The wallet size, golden brown, thick and steamy dumplings were by far some of the best dumplings I’ve had. It was a little pricey, but in comparison to other food in the area, beyond worth it and far more delicious.

Now I try to go to Hong’s Dumplings every Friday for lunch. The 6 dumplings we ordered last time came out a minute or two later – wonderfully crisp and fresh. We started to dig in when Hong called to us, asking if we wanted some fresh sausage and ham fried rice; we agreed (of course) and she came around to the front of the room with a large steaming plate.

Hong, the owner and operator of the restaurant, moved to Vermont from northeastern China in 1996. After eating dumplings in 2000, she cringed at the lack of flavor and decided to open up a food cart. With long lines and lots of love, Hong’s food cart won the annual 7-Days award for “Best Street Food” 10 times. But working a food cart outside was difficult, and as Hong said in a 7 Days interview, “hard on the body”. Lovers of her food organized and raised over 10,000 dollars for Hong to open the corner-restaurant on Pearl and Pine in 2017. The restaurant is truly a story of community, love and delicious food: three things we truly need in the world right now.

The fresh sausage and ham fried rice was delicious, of course. I remember after we left, turning the corner to head back to school, my friend saying how it was a crime the place was open only 3 days a week.

I have yet to try everything on the menu, but plan to. I’ve tried three of the four kinds of dumplings: pork, veggie and chicken & cheese. I tend to stay away from crab, but I bet if I tried the crab cream cheese dumplings that would change. The pork dumplings are by far my favorite and a must-get, not to say the others aren’t as good, I just simply love them. The only bad thing I can say about this place is that I can’t go there enough. Hong’s is only open Friday/Saturday from 12-7 and 12-6 on Sunday, and though there’s such limited time, going there is the best way to end a week.

The owner of Hong’s Dumplings standing at the counter of their store. (Courtesy)