The Student News Site of Burlington High School

BHS Register

BHS Register

BHS Register

The bumpy road to recovery
A Winning Recipe

Teacher Feature: Meet Computer Science teacher Nora LaCasse

C Cate
Computer Science teacher Nora LaCasse.

Where are you from originally?

“New Hampshire.”

What college did you go to to become a teacher?

“I went to Bennington College for my undergrad. It’s a very tiny hippie school in Southern Vermont. And then I went to Boston and got my master’s in teaching, which is where I actually became a teacher.”

What made you choose a Vermont college?

“The college I went to had no requirements, no majors, no grades. And it was really just like, your education is what you make of it. And I really, Really liked that. It was just a whole culture of people who were super interested in learning, creating, and doing stuff, but were not motivated by grades and requirements, they were motivated by the actual stuff and it was really great and fun. And that’s why I went there. It’s so nice, it’s amazing. Such a beautiful place, Vermont.”

What made you decide to teach at Burlington High School?

“So I was teaching in Boston and wanted to move to Vermont, and my partner and I thought we wanted to move to Burlington because we wanted to slowly, slowly, kind of move from city to country. And a job opened up here and that was perfect.”

What do you do on your time off?

“I do a lot of things. I love hiking and swimming and being outside. I ski in the winter. I love cooking and gardening, tending my bees, and reading. I love crafting. I knit a lot. I do woodworking. I love hanging out with my cats and friends.”

What are your cat’s names?

“Thank you for asking. They’re Bean Dip and Monster Truck: Bean and Truck for short.”

What should people expect in your class?

“So, once you’ve taken a class with me, I hope that what you expect is a place where you have the freedom to kind of do some of your own. Like you have a choice and freedom in your projects and kind of the direction you learn. But also that I hope I’m providing fun prompts that make you actually want to do the learning. I don’t know what people expect in the first class when they come in. Just learn and be taught coding.”

What is your favorite thing about being a teacher?

“How funny you guys are and how much you all make me laugh and entertain me. I also love watching you guys solve problems and setting up situations for you to solve problems. But mostly, I just think you guys are funny and interesting and great.”

Were you surprised the school you were working in was an old Macy’s department store?

“Yeah, I’m used to it now though.”

No Windows?

“No windows? Oh my, very sad.”

What is your favorite environment?

“I love being in lakes and ponds. Or rivers. I like being on water.”

What is the best book you have ever read?

“Best book? I love ‘100 Years of Solitude’ by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It’s a magical realist novel. It’s my favorite book.”

Do you have a favorite animal?

“Um, maybe cats.”