10 albums turning 10

As music is rapidly changing and evolving, let’s look back at 10 influential albums turning 10 this year that have impacted music today.
From top left: 1989, Natalie Merchant, Ghost Stories, Bury Me at Makeout Creek, Ultraviolence, French Exit, Z, Alvvays, Hozier, I Will Not Be Afraid

1. “1989” – Taylor Swift

“1989” marked Taylor Swift’s exit from country music to pop, and became a huge hit, despite doubts, launching Swift to unparalleled fame. From hits like “Shake it Off” to raw and honest melodies about her personal struggles like “Clean” as well as countless love songs, it’s an album about love, revenge, anxiety, being yourself and the harsh reality of fame. It’s undeniable: “1989” will never go out of style. 

2. “Bury Me at Makeout Creek” – Mitski 

Mitski’s tragically beautiful and romantic third album includes many of her most popular tracks, such as “First Love/Late Spring” and “Francis Forever.” It perfected Mitski’s signature style, brought out full-swing in her previous albums. While the music is beautiful in and of itself, it’s Mitski’s poetic, personal lyricism that sets the album apart. In addition to her unique vocals, it makes “Bury Me at Makeout Creek” one of the best indie albums of all time. 

3. “Ultraviolence” – Lana Del Rey

“Ultraviolence” is an ode to love at its darkest, and an unforgettable point in Del Rey’s career. She tells stories in her songs, through her ethereal vocals that shine through on every track in the album. Noteworthy tracks include the elusive “West Coast,” “Shades of Cool,” and the title track, “Ultraviolence.” “Ultraviolence” is a love letter, a statement, and altogether a masterpiece. 

4. “French Exit” – TV Girl 

“French Exit’s” psychedelic and hypnotic tracks are completely open and raw about the truths behind love, beauty, and insecurity. Every song has its own deeper meaning, and each has its own addictive, hypnotic beat. “French Exit” was ahead of its time. 

5. “Z– SZA

SZA’s 2014 EP, Z, is SZA at her softest, her most romantic, and her most vulnerable. It feels like reassurance in an increasingly complicated world. It’s softer and less pop-centric than her current style, the instrumentation has a synthesized and a bit of a retro feel, and the vocals are gorgeous. “Zis an underrated EP that helped launch SZA’s career and fame to what it is today.  

6. “Natalie Merchant” – Natalie Merchant 

Natalie Merchant was the lead singer and songwriter of the band 10,000 Maniacs, before leaving to launch her solo career, where she went on to release her self-titled 2014 album. In it, she utilizes her powerful songwriting skills to craft thoughtful songs, and with the beautiful vocals and instrumentation, the album transports the listener. And in a way, she becomes each of us: we share her stories and songs that allow us to see ourselves in them. Natalie Merchant is a remarkable singer and songwriter, which is clear on the album. 

7. “Ghost Stories”Coldplay 

Coldplay is known for their romantic songwriting, and “Ghost Storiesexpresses that clearly. With its sweet, yet powerful lyrics and synthetic, futuristic instrumentation, it’s a beautiful album. 

8. “Hozier”Hozier

Hozier’s strong, unique vocals combine with well-crafted lyrics and instrumentation to create an emotional and powerful album. The music absorbs the listener in undefinable emotions which Hozier manages to put words to, each song powerful and emotional in its own way. It’s undeniable: Hozier is a master storyteller and artist. 

9. “Alvvays”Alvvays

The indie-pop band, Alvvays, released their self-titled debut album in 2014, and their dreamy, alternative style gained attention. The album altogether feels nostalgic and hazy, with beautiful vocals and lyricism. Of all the unique songs, the romantic, dreamy “Archie, Marry Me” stands out in particular and remains one of their most popular tracks. It bravely introduced Alvvays to the world of indie music with a bang and made sure that they were going places. 

10. “I Will Not Be Afraid – Caroline Rose

3 words that describe Caroline Rose’s “I Will Not Be Afraid: personal, powerful and beautiful. Throughout the indie-folk album, Caroline Rose becomes a storyteller, a lover, and ultimately, completely and unabashedly herself. It’s like peering through a window into Rose’s thoughts, dreams and flaws, for all to see. And, as the title states, she isn’t the slightest bit afraid.