Opening doors: Student Government works to create a better BHS

Cecily Spence, Managing Editor

When Student Government started back up this year, some wondered if it would actually get things done or if it would fade back into obscurity. Well, if you go to the library any Wednesday morning at 8am, you’ll find a room full of students with President Gussie Guyette right there in the middle of it all. Their latest success? Getting the doors to the parking garage entrance back open to students. 

“I worked on getting the garage doors [to remain] open, so people can enter through them throughout the day, which happened and was really cool,” Guyette said. “You have to just show your student ID.”

Many students have expressed excitement surrounding this change. Vivian Halladay ‘24 is grateful to no longer have to carry sports equipment around to the front door. 

“We had to carry like 40 pounds of shot put [to] the front because our coaches and teachers would refuse to let us in… but now it’s so much easier,” Halladay said.

Ambrose Cusick ‘24, who drives to school every day has also benefited from the change.

“It’s so nice, especially because it’s like 20 degrees outside,” Cusick said. “12 out of 10. I’m loving it.”

Guyette is trying to make other changes within the school.

“I’m working on the lunch lines,” Guyette said. “I’m also working to reopen a snack bar. It’s been hard because there was no food coordinator for the district, but we just got a new one.”

Guyette takes ideas and concerns to meetings that she has every other week with Principal Lauren McBride.

“Every other Wednesday I have a meeting with Ms. McBride,” Guyette said. “I talk about what I want to do, and what [the] student government wants to do and we try to come up with ways to do them.”

For example, Guyette and the student government are working to create more school events, and the Student Government is placing an emphasis on building school spirit and bringing the BHS community together.

“We’re just getting back into the flow of things since the school year began. We’ve been working on [upcoming] events to try to get the community back together,” Guyette said. “It’s just so hard because Macy’s is not a long-term [situation].”

Senior class representative Sahra Hassan and the Junior class representative Grace Park agree with Guyette’s emphasis on school spirit and are working to provide more events.

“[We plan on doing a] Senior movie night, and [Senior] sunset, and probably another upperclassman dance but that’s not strictly [for] Seniors,” Hassan said. “I want to move forwards trying to make the entire school more spirited.”

Park agrees, explaining how school spirit can be more difficult since the move to dtBHS.

“I think we’ve done a really good job organizing school events like the Macy’s Day Parade,” Park said. “I like that we’re kind of bringing up the school spirit.”