BHS Entrance Gets Makeover

Photo: Alexandre Silberman/Register

The once bland entrance to Burlington High School has gotten a fresh, new look.

Potted plants adorn the entryway, ranging from neatly trimmed evergreens to blooming yellow flowers. Big blue letters spell out B-H-S over the main doors. A brief step inside the lobby reveals a series of colorful graduate expectation banners and pillows on the leather furniture.

“I asked for their help to spruce up the entrance and make everyone feel welcome when they come to school,” Racicot said. “I’m very proud of them.”

The two parent-led organizations completely covered the cost of the changes, according to Racicot.

img_1855
    Photo: Alexandre Silberman/Register

The graduate expectation banners were implemented by the Partnership for Change, who hired a graphic designer to create them. Racicot worked with the organization on the final design and determining a location where they could be hung.
    BHS freshman this year will be the first to graduate with proficiency-based diplomas, as the high school makes a shift away from traditional methods of measuring student success. The banners display the graduation expectations that were implemented as part of the switch towards proficiencies.

$110
    $500