The Student News Site of Burlington High School

BHS Register

BHS Register

BHS Register

What are colleges really looking for?

Vague college requirements leave students frustrated
Krisha Thapa
Counseling Assistant Ducky Jones showing the wall of colleges in the counseling office.

NYU has an “academically-driven review process.” Colby-Sawyer college says “we review applications holistically.” UNC says “there is no formula for admission.” As students start the college application process, they often wonder ‘how do I give colleges what they want?’ 

The biggest challenge during applications is definitely not losing my mind,” Veronica Lindstron ‘24 said. “It’s a lot of drudgery and filling out little boxes which is frustrating, but on a more structural level it’s seriously messed up.”

Colleges do provide open data sheets that reveal what they prioritize in applicants, but these sheets are often unclear and don’t offer much useful information for students.

“We consider everything that a student submits as part of their application,” UNC Assistant Director Ebony Potts said in an interview with the Register. “[We] try and understand not only their achievements and potential, but the context in which those achievements occurred and potential forged.” 

Likewise, NYU does not provide any specifics about which classes to take or what GPA is acceptable. However, they do expect students to demonstrate “a consistently high level” of academic achievement. It’s difficult for high school students to know exactly what “a consistently high level” of achievement means. Exactly how many Honors-level or AP classes is enough? 

In addition, NYU is one of more than 1,900 schools that will not require SAT or ACT test scores on their applications in 2024. The lack of test scores is one factor that has caused an increase in applications to universities. In the year 2022, a total of 75,037 students submitted applications to NYU, of which only 21% were admitted. In 2023, the acceptance rate dropped to just 16%. 

Overall, more students are applying to colleges which has created much lower acceptance rates at the most selective universities. Harvard’s admission rate in 2022 was 3.19%. However, a majority of U.S. colleges and universities admit most applicants.

Lindstron says that the application process itself can be “daunting” and that it is very easy to get overwhelmed. 

AP English Literature teacher Jill Kelley agrees.

“The students obsess over their applications,” Kelley said. “It becomes a full-time job for a lot of these kids. It’s really stressful (for them). Some students are applying to 30 or 40 schools. They are fatigued. It’s a sense of being overwhelmed that you can see as they walk into the room.”  

Moses Doe ‘23 says it has been hard to adapt to the pressures of being a Senior and knowing that time is running out. 

[That] and finding out where and what to click on the websites,” Moses Doe ‘23 said.

Common App, a website many colleges use for the application process, says that there has been a 72% increase in applications between 2013 and 2022 and that the number of first-generation and fee waiver applicants have increased at an even faster rate. 

“Both my parents and I are immigrants,” Anyier Manyok ‘23 said. “Neither of them went to college, so I can’t really lean on them for help during this time.” 

Manyok says a few adults at BTC helped with the essay. Doe used “a lot” of resources in and out of school like the guidance counselor. 

“I would encourage anybody, needing any layer of help with applications, whether it’s a specific question or how to pay for them, to see the school counselor they’re assigned to,” Counselor KasCandra Doughtery said. “They’re going to be able to answer their questions specifically that relate just to them.” 

Advice from Seniors:

Moses Doe ‘23: “Don’t procrastinate, the more you get done, the more free time you will have at the end of the day. You don’t want to be stressing over deadlines.”

Anyier Manyok ‘23: “Enjoy this last year we all have together. High School is full of cliches and I think it would be nice if sometimes we broke out of them and looked around and appreciated everyone around us.”

Veronica Lindstron ‘24: “My biggest advice to my fellow Seniors is pretty cliche, but I would say it’s going to be okay. Admittedly, I don’t listen to my own advice sometimes, but

I think if there is one thing I want to remember it’s that college applications are big and scary and stressful, but they aren’t the end of the world and they aren’t the pinnacle of high school. If you get into your dream school full ride, that’s awesome, or if you get rejections, you’re going to be okay. You’re going to make it okay. We’ve made it through a lot these past few years and this is just one more hurdle.”