“Togetherness and Peace”

BHS International Club reveals new artwork

Clio Burns

The International Club unveiled a new mural entitled “Togetherness and Peace” in the cafeteria on Tuesday, September 13. BHS student Rafad AlMulla and her father, Ajmed Jamal, created the work together.

Clio Burns, Staff Writer

“The painting’s depiction of black and white hands symbolizes unity and harmony among all sects of people,” members of the International Club wrote in a blurb describing the piece. “With no discrimination between its parts, the dove’s purpose is to spread the spirit of love and peace. The boats’ vibrantly colored sails represent the flags of many countries, and the large sail in the middle has a map of the world on it to represent that we welcome students from all countries.”

After the mural’s reveal, faculty and community members came forward to give the artists congratulatory hugs and handshakes.

“I am really happy today to share our art here,” AlMulla said. “Me and my dad, we really appreciate that. Thank you so much for everything.”

A video of the event is available on the Register’s Youtube.

Photo: Clio Burns