The Student News Site of Burlington High School

BHS Register

BHS Register

BHS Register

Blood Shortage

People aren’t donating enough to the blood drive
Daniel Gavin at the Blood Drive
Daniel Gavin at the Blood Drive

According to the Red Cross, every two seconds someone will need blood. Hospitals across the United States collectively need 29,000 units of blood everyday to keep up with this demand, but people are not donating as much as they need. US hospitals were short 30,000 units of blood in August alone, that is over a day’s worth of blood that was missing. 

“It is mostly due to schedule,” school nurse Brian Kelly said. “Teachers cannot take 40 minutes out of their day to donate.” 

This doesn’t just apply to teachers. Many other workers cannot take time off during work for even a vaccine, which only takes a few minutes to receive. Alyson Piehler, the nurse in charge of infection management at Birchwood Nursing Home would like to donate, but finds it very difficult to do. 

“We have our hands full taking care of our patients,” Piehler said. “We can’t go back to work after donating blood because our jobs are very physical. Donations through work would be unavailable because you need to rest after.” 

Due in part to the pandemic, the American Red Cross says that they are dealing with the lowest number of people donating blood in the last 20 years.

“I used to [donate], but I haven’t for a long time, not since pre-Covid. They used to put out signs, but they don’t anymore,” Piehler said.

This 40% decrease in the number of people donating has left organizations desperately looking for solutions.

“They called me so frequently and harassed me, I got upset with them. I have been meaning to go back and donate, but I really don’t want them to call me because the phone calls were obnoxious.” Piehler said. 

Kristi Fuller, a LPN at Birchwood nursing home says there are ways to improve the blood donation system. 

“I believe we have a blood shortage due to the lack of education on the need for blood, as well as the education on the steps it takes to give blood,” Fuller said. 

Fuller believes that one reason donations were higher in the past was due to the incentives such as food, gift cards and free movie tickets. Piehler talks about how their family appreciated the free movie tickets she got with donation. 

“At the time it was a big deal for us because we couldn’t go to the movies [without them]” Piehler said. 

BHS Heroes Blood Drive Information:

The American Red Cross is partnering with BHS Heroes and hosting our second blood drive of the academic year on May 16th at the Cathedral Church of St Paul on Cherry St. (right across the street from BHS) from 8:30 AM until 1:30 pm. This is an incredible cause and they are in desperate need of blood donations at the moment. If you would like to sign up use the link here to pick a time slot. You can also sign up during lunches starting next week on Thursday, May 9th until Wednesday, May 10th. There will be a table by the escalators.
Students will earn THREE HOURS of volunteer service for participating!!! If you can convince your parents/guardians to sign up as well, you can also gain an additional ONE HOUR!!

Staff, PLEASE consider signing up and helping out! The need is great and the commitment small. I am very grateful to all of you for helping out.
If you wish to participate here are some of the basic requirements:
  • 16 year olds must have signed a parental permission form to donate.  I have attached it here. PLEASE either bring this permission slip with you when you give blood OR you can drop it off with me in ROOM 239 at any time.
  • 17 year old + do not need a signed permission form.
  • Minimum height/weight requirements.  I have attached the guidelines here.  It provides a visual that the potential donor can confirm their eligibility.
  • Eating well days leading up to, and on the day of the drive.  Protein, carbs, fat, and foods rich in iron.  That will help prevent deferrals.
  • Hydration – this is the big one – being well hydrated will improve the donation experience for all, but especially for students.
Please let me or BHS Hero Leader, Richie Amerson ([email protected]), know if you have any questions. Thanks so much! As always, please bring along the volunteer form here to be signed after you complete your blood drive.