Lights, camera, action: curtain rises on one-act plays

“Desperate Housewives of Shakespeare” rehearsal- Photo: Daniel Gibson

Phoebe Spence, Staff Writer

The BHS Drama Club has been working since mid-September to write, direct and act in this year’s student-led one-act play showcase. The six 20 minute ‘one-acts’ offer a wide range of storylines from murder mysteries to Shakespearean-themed comedies and will take place on November 10, 11, and 12 at the old BHS on Institute Road. 

“I’m really excited to see all the other shows [and] for an audience to finally see all the hard work we have put in,” Daniel Gibson ‘23 said.

I love how many creative outlets BHS has… It’s one of the few things about this school I identify with and take pride in.

— Jeremiah Stewart

Amy Chung ‘23 wrote and directed her own play for the one acts called, “Shawty Doesn’t Have Apple Bottom Jeans, She Has Blood on Her Hands.” Chung’s murder mystery follows the murder of a family and the investigation that leads them to the final killer. 

“I’ve always wanted to write a play; I’m really interested in it and this gave me an opportunity to do that,” Chung said. “It’s all worth it in the end to see this image that you’ve had in your head played out in real life.”

Jeremiah Stewart ‘23 is playing a detective in Chung’s play and also has roles in two other plays: “Fourteen,” directed by Miles Ellis-Novotny ‘22, and “Pullman Car Hiawatha,” directed by Theo Ellis-Novotny ‘22. 

“I feel connected to [the characters] because I put myself into them,” Stewart said. “It feels like I’m connected to everyone else performing.”

Stewart has had a passion for theatre since acting in BHS’ production of “Urinetown” two years ago.

“I love how many creative outlets BHS has,” Stewart said. “…It’s one of the few things about this school I identify with and take pride in.”

Gibson is co-directing a play with Clio Burns ‘23 called “The Desperate Housewives of Shakespeare” written by Jim and Jane Jeffries. 

“It’s just this super fun ridiculous comedy taking women from Shakespeare and putting them in a modern setting,” Gibson said. “It’s really fun seeing these classical characters that we look at [through] historical lenses and seeing how we can adapt them to modern times.”

Gibson’s interest in theatre started at a young age. 

“It’s just a creative outlet,” Gibson said. “[My dad] signed me up for a show when I was five, and I’ve just gotten more and more into it as time has gone on.”

The final showcase will be this Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 7 to 9 pm in the old BHS auditorium. A general admission ticket is $5. Tickets for students and senior citizens are $3. A one-act called “Mime in a Box” will also be performed for students at dtBHS free of charge during this Friday’s choice time.