Kicking off the Season After Two Years: 2021 Spring Sports Overview

Following the cancellation of the 2020 season, spring sports are kicking off the season after not playing for close to two years. Monday, April 5 marks the first day of tryouts and practices. The Register spoke to some of the coaches and athletes who have been eagerly anticipating their chance to play about their hopes for the season.

BHS boys lacrosse

Outdoor Track and Field 

Why should students join track and field?

“Track is a lifelong sport where there are so many different opportunities. People think it’s running fast around a track, it’s not that. It’s all different aspects of athletic endeavors. There is no other time in your life when someone is going to teach you how to pole vault for free or the mechanics of long jump or triple jump. These are sports which you can start here and continue in your community.” – Dan Hagan, Head Coach 

How are you feeling about the upcoming season?

“I’m super excited! I love track. I love the team and I love competing.” – Sloane Guillian, Junior

Girls Ultimate Frisbee

BHS girls ultimate participates in a post-game spirit circle with their opposing team.
Photo: Brian McDonnell

What are you looking forward to this season?

“I’m looking forward to getting back out onto the field. After having last season canceled we’re excited to play again as a team, get our community back together and have some competition.” – Karen Spach, Head Coach

Season goals?

“I want to wreck some teams. And beat CVU. That’s my goal.” – Elizabeth Crawford, Senior

Boys Ultimate Frisbee

What challenges do you anticipate?

“We lost a crop of graduates last year and we only have about five returning sophomores who are seniors this year. The challenge will be getting everyone up to speed and functioning as a cohesive unit.” – Bill Shrecker, Head Coach

What are your goals for the season?

“If you talk to anyone on the team you’ve probably heard them say we’re going to win the state championship this year. People are confident but also realistic about how good the team could be.” – Declan Kervick, Senior

Girls Lacrosse 

“I am looking forward to getting outside with student-athletes, teaching lacrosse, and competing. This past year has been a long year, and I know BHS students have had additional challenges without having a school to go to. Through training for lacrosse, there is a potential to gather people in a safe way while doing something fun.” – Erin Malone, Head Coach

What is your team goal this season? 

“My team goal is to grow close with everyone and have a good time. I know BHS sports are really good about team bonding.” – Leighton Guyette, Freshman 

Boys Lacrosse

BHS boys lacrosse

What is the greatest difference you anticipate to see this year compared to the 2019 season?

“We will be playing a new schedule which will be a challenge but really good for us…. It will be more focused on the traditional lacrosse powerhouse teams around Chittenden county.” – Ryan Mclaren, Head Coach

What would you tell BHS students who are considering joining the team?

“Lacrosse is a very fun sport with a good team environment and everyone should come give it a shot.” – Ethan Goldsmith, Junior

Girls Tennis

BHS girls tennis Photo: Nora Jacobsen/The Register

What are you excited for this season?

“Seeing the improvement in my team. We have a lot of girls who are new to tennis or at least are coming back after not playing much last year, and so I’m really excited for us to get a lot of hours on the court, hit a lot of tennis balls, and start seeing some exciting results.” -Megan Collins, Head Coach

What are your hopes for the season?

“Because we didn’t get a season last year I’m hoping that we can have a successful season. I’m really hoping we can make it to the championship because we came really close my freshman year, and it’s a bigger team so I’m just hoping everyone can get along.” – Dahlia Rubin, Junior

Boys Tennis

“Just getting outside and being with the kids. You know, playing tennis. It’s been a long time. I think the kids are excited to get out there. We didn’t have a tennis season scheduled last year because of Covid so the kids that are returning are excited to get out there and get playing. I think we’re gonna be a pretty good team.” – Fran Demasi, Head Coach 

What are your hopes for this season?

“To get better, to know everyone that’s playing tennis at this school and to hopefully be in the top five.” Hugo Crainich, Sophomore.

Baseball

“I genuinely don’t know what type of talent I have. That’s kind of scary as a coach, but it’s also kind of fun. It’ll be like the first day of a brand new team, like I’m moving to a different school and coaching a whole new group of kids. That’s really what it’s going to feel like this year.” – Marcel Girouard, Head Coach 

Season goal?

“I want to hit a home run this year. I haven’t hit a home run in high school baseball yet but that would be really cool to do.” – Parker Ballard, Senior.

Softball

Why did you start playing?

“I started playing softball when I was in first grade. I don’t know. I just did it for something to keep me busy during summer and then I really loved it.” – David Allerton, Head Coach

When did you start playing softball?

“I started playing softball when I was in first grade. I just did it for something to keep me busy during summer and then I really loved it.” – Arrianna Harvey, Sophomore