Principal Lauren McBride announces resignation

Lauren McBride

Lauren McBride

Cecily Spence, Managing Editor

Tuesday, December 13, Lauren McBride publicly announced her upcoming resignation as principal of Burlington High School. The news was revealed this evening in an email from Superintendent Tom Flanagan.

“While I am saddened by this news, I understand that she has been presented with an opportunity that she feels she must pursue,” Flanagan wrote. “In her time as principal, Lauren has done great work leading BHS through a challenging leadership transition and into a new building for learning.”

Attached in the email was a letter from McBride.

“This decision has not been easy, as I have deep respect and love for the Burlington community, and specifically the students and staff of BHS,” McBride wrote.

McBride explained her process leading up to the decision.

“In the past several weeks I have been presented with an opportunity that I feel I must pursue both for myself and for those who have loved and encouraged me throughout my professional journey,” McBride wrote.

BSD administration has already begun the search to find a new principal for BHS.

“I want you to know that we are working to create a transition plan for the high school, including finalizing Principal McBride’s last day and bringing in an acting principal to help lead the school as we launch a national search for the next principal of BHS,” Flanagan wrote.

For more on the story read the Register’s exclusive interview with McBride.