The twins of BHS: life with your other half

Georgia Wool, Staff Writer

Marchessault Brothers ‘23

Lucas Marchessault(left) and Owen Marchessault(right)

Q: Do your teachers/friends/parents ever mix you up?

Lucas: “My parents and friends mix us up very rarely, but I have had teachers claiming they saw a shorter clone of me wandering the halls.”

Q: How do you think being twins affects your relationship?

Lucas: “I think being twins affects our relationship very positively because we are living life on a similar course, and that brings us closer because usually our large decisions align on our separate timelines.”

Q: Do you have any funny twin stories? Or any other memorable ones?

Lucas: “There have been many memories that come from our identical sense of humor. [Like] all the times we’ve been laughing uncontrollably while the people around us can’t figure out what just happened. It’s hard to describe, but even the smallest things can set us off in tears.”

Dietschi Brothers ‘25

Ale Dietschi(left) and Remy Dietschi(right)

Ale: “I think that being twins has made us much closer, but it also makes us more competitive in things we do together like sports.”

Awayle Sisters ‘24

Hawa Awayle(left) and Rukiya Awayle(right)

Q: Do you like being twins?

Rukiya: “I like having a twin because I won’t always be alone, and I will have someone right by my side. We have a lot in common, so when we choose activities or look at things we like, it’s easy to make a decision.” 

Hawa: “Yes, a lot of teachers mix us up. A teacher will come up to me and I’ll have no idea who it is, but then I eventually tell them I’m not [Ru].” 

Rukiya: “I don’t like to be separated from my sister because that’s my only friend. We both have very different personalities, so there are times we disagree on things. In the end, we are sisters and will always love each other.” 

McDonald Brothers ‘23

Noah McDonald(left) and Noel McDonald(right)

Noel: In elementary school we’d both get student of the day prizes sometimes because they’d confused us [with] each other. It doesn’t affect us a lot, we can understand why.”

Noah: “It’s funny sometimes when people mix us up, but other times, it’s kids who know the difference and just say the other one’s name. I don’t get mad about it. I just laugh it off and tell them after.”

Noel: “Sometimes when we both have a class together, we tell the teacher that I am Noel and Noel says he is Noah and everyone laughs.”

Steiner Sisters ‘24

Macie Steiner(left) and Haven Steiner(right)

Q: Do you like being twins?

Macie: “Yes, I like being a twin because it’s nice to have someone sharing the same experiences as you at the same time. We’re in the same grade, we can share the same clothes, we get to learn how to drive together, all that jazz.” 

Haven: “We were always grouped together as one, instead of two separate people and from a young age, I think we both took on very opposite roles to combat this.” 

Haven: “There were a handful of times in elementary school where we’d introduce ourselves as each other and make teachers confused. We felt pretty sneaky afterwards.” 

Tornwini Twins ‘23

Ledum Tornwini(left/bottom) and Tedum Tornwini(right/top)

Q: What’s a secret or something no one knows about being twins?

Tedum: “We are more alike than we are different.” 

Mitchell Sisters ‘23

Gracie Mitchell(left) and Abby Mitchell(right)

Gracie: “We are much closer than my other siblings, and that is not just because we are the same age. She seems to understand me better than my other siblings do, and we don’t argue with each other as much.” 

Q: What is something no one knows about being twins?

Abby: “Being a twin is amazing, but we are our own people. I think sometimes people assume that we are the same in every aspect, but we’re not.” 

Q: Do you have twin telepathy?

Gracie: “Our family will joke and say we have our own language, and I think we do. I mean, who else can I just look at or mumble to, and they would know exactly what I am saying?”