2021 fall sports preview: BHS captains’ outlook

Fall sports have officially kicked off at 52 Institute Road with the start of the new school year. The past week athletes competed to win opening games and races, encouraged by excited superfans. The Register spoke to BHS varsity captains to get the inside scoop.

BHS Varsity Girls Soccer posses after practice. Photo: Anna Jenemann

Rebecca Cunningham, Staff Writer

Girls Soccer

Previous season record: 4-5; lost to Essex in Division I playdowns

Goals for this season?

“Our number one goal is to bring 100% to every practice and game. We are also working to be in the same place mentally. Often in soccer, people get frustrated with themselves or frustrated with a play. Our goal is to keep up positive energy and not let mistakes have a ripple effect.”

-Varsity Captain Anna Jenemann

Boys Soccer

Previous season record: 10-2-2; defeated Essex to win the Division I Championship

After winning the state championship last year, how do you feel about the upcoming season?

“We are looking good, but we have a young team, and we are not returning many starters from last year. We like our chances, but we are realistic. We know that it is going to be challenging for this team of all new guys to come out and be great right away.”

-Varsity Captain Ethan Park

BHS Varsity Girls XC after their first race, the Essex Invitational. Photo: Rebecca Cunningham

Girls XC 

Previous season record: finished 2nd at Division I state meet

What are you looking forward to about this season?

“I’m super excited for the season because I think our team is really strong this year. Not everyone knows that our girls varsity has a lot of depth. We have a lot of potential! It is really cool to see that, but it also feels like a lot of pressure.” 

-Varsity Captain Aya Goldstein

Boys XC

Previous season record: finished 5th at Division I state meet. 

How will you improve this season?

“Each meet we learn from our experience racing. We are working on using this experience to run faster. As a team, we support each other and train hard together.”

-Varsity Captain Jason Huynh

Field Hockey

Previous season record: 3-7; lost to Bellows Falls in Division I quarterfinals

What challenges do you expect to face?

“We have low numbers on our team this year, which means a bunch of underclassmen are playing on both Varsity and JV. Everyone will need to communicate clearly with coaches and captains about how they are feeling in terms of energy. That being said, because we are a smaller group, we are able to gel as a team well.”

-Varsity Captain Dahlia Rubin

Girls Volleyball

Previous season record: 4-3; no VPA tournament

What’s happening in practice?

“For volleyball, we have a lot of people who have been playing the same position at BHS for years. We are realizing recently that sometimes we need to switch it up. We are working on flexibility.”

-Varsity Captain Isa Masi

BHS JV volleyball ready for a serve. Photo: Cooper Smith

Boys Volleyball

Previous season record: 0-8; no VPA tournament

Most dramatic changes between this season and last season? 

“Last year, practicing outside, we had to deal with factors such as wind and mud. This year, back in the gym, we don’t have to do that, and we are able to practice more consistently. Our plan is to nail down technique and footwork.”

-Varsity Captain Cooper Smith

Seawolves Football

Previous season record: Burlington region 7-on-7 semifinals; lost to Colchester

“We’ve been waiting for tackle football since my freshman year, because with COVID-19 we’ve been playing two-hand-touch which is definitely not as fun. Tackle is more of a team sport. If one person messes up the play usually stops, so everyone has to be on the same page.”

-Varsity Captain Ty Larson