AP for all

Are Advanced Placement courses accessible to everyone?
AP+Coordinator+David+Rome+tells+students+about+AP+classes+during+a+meeting+in+the+choir+room.+
Furqan Mohammed
AP Coordinator David Rome tells students about AP classes during a meeting in the choir room.

Some first-generation students and students of color say that they are not being given enough information about AP classes. Students say that they have to advocate for themselves and actively seek out resources to learn about AP classes. 

“During my freshman year, it [Advanced Placement] wasn’t really talked about,” Nadia Sylla ‘25 said. “I only heard about them if I asked about them. The guidance counselor and adults were not really open about them.” 

Nafisa Moge ’24 agrees.

“I’ve heard of AP classes before, but I never knew what they were offering,” Moge said. “I feel like that information is really withheld from people, especially people of color at our school.” 

Guidance counselor Tony Settel explained that students are informed about AP course offerings during course registration and Junior meetings held between January and February. This information is shared through advisory sessions where counselors present the program of study and proposed courses for the following year. Additionally, email communications are used to distribute this information.

“I feel all students are equally informed about AP course options,” Settel said.

Still, Settel says that more can be done and suggested partnering with students to develop additional ways to communicate information.

School counselors feel like we are providing information in many ways,” Settel said. “But perhaps there are others that we are not thinking about.” 

Korey Whitfield began teaching AP African American Studies this year. 

“I do think we can do better as an entire staff [at promoting AP classes]” Whitfield said.

Whitfield put up posters, made announcements, held a meeting and contacted students through email to let them know about his new AP class. 

“First generation [students] are less informed about AP classes,” Whitfield said. “BIPOC students and students that are first generation are underrepresented in AP classes and that’s not just in our school, it’s a bigger trend.”

According to the Strategic Plan for Diversity and Equity 2014-2017, the district is supposed to “address tracking and increase enrollment of students of the global majority in AP and honors classes.” Whitfield believes that the new class he is teaching may help with the district’s plan.

“AP African American Studies [was] created to give students options to pursue later,” Whitfield said. “But it was also an effort to introduce a class that Bipoc students would be more interested in…because [if] African American students see themselves in this curriculum, they might be more willing to try taking this class.”

Whitfield thinks Burlington high school could have an AP classes fair where teachers can sit behind a table and have the opportunity to present what their AP classes are about. This could provide all students who want to challenge themselves and take an AP course the opportunity to have their questions answered and be well informed about AP classes. 

“I think it’s a two way street about support and then effort,” Whitfield said. “So I think in order to be successful in any AP class, you need to have the supportive teachers and support of each other, even students, but you also need to challenge [yourself] and work.”