The bumpy road to recovery
A Winning Recipe

Review: “The Lightning Thief”

BHS Drama’s musical was pure fun
Penelope deRosset
Keats Overman-Smith ’26 (Mr. D) and Oliver Kochalka ’26 (Mr. Brunner/Chiron) warming up with the rest of the cast of “The Lightning Thief”.

Full of comedy and heart, BHS Drama’s production of “The Lightning Thief” was pure fun. 

The cast is led by Rowan Thayer ‘24 as Annabeth Chase, whose singing brought the house down, Lincoln Safran ‘25 as Grover Underwood, whose quippy one-liners drew laughs from the crowd, and Nora Perry ‘24 as Percy Jackson, who embodied perfectly the character’s mix of sarcasm and earnestness. 

The ensemble brought the world of “The Lightning Thief” to life with their energy. Standouts included Keats Overman-Smith ‘26 as Dionysus, Avery Eringis ‘26 as Clarisse La Rue and Mrs. Dodds, Luca Stanton ‘26 in dual roles as Charon/Ares, and Kuba Thelemarck as Luke Castellan. 

Overman-Smith appeared to be having a tremendous amount of fun while singing about how miserable he was in the song “Another Terrible Day”. Stanton and Eringis were intimidating yet charming as they threatened the leads. Thelemarck had perhaps the most difficult role to play and his Luke captured the sympathy of the audience throughout the performance. 

The set and props were whimsical and took the audience into the world of the show. The musical lends itself well to the low-budget feel of a high school production; the cardboard monster heads and foam swords did not diminish the play, but added to it. Also adding to this feeling of whimsy was the cartoonish fight choreography. The action-packed source material may seem intimidating to some theaters, but the fights, especially the final showdown with Ares, were well done. 

View Comments (1)
$164
$500