Home News Administration Halts Schedule Changes for 2017-18 School Year

Administration Halts Schedule Changes for 2017-18 School Year

128
2
SHARE
Sticky notes line the walls of the office of BHS Principal Tracy Racicot, filled with suggestions for a redesigned schedule that will launch in the 2017-18 school year. | Photo: Alexandre Silberman/Register
Sticky notes line the walls of the office of BHS Principal Tracy Racicot, filled with suggestions for a redesigned schedule that will launch in the 2017-18 school year. | Photo: Alexandre Silberman/Register

Changes will not be made to the Burlington High School schedule for next school year, administration announced to lead teachers last week.

Tracy Racicot confirmed the news in an interview with the Register on Thursday. Multiple factors were involved in the decision, including limited time and a need for additional input. Racicot met with a diverse group of students and multilingual liaisons for a work group a few weeks ago, who felt more voices needed to be included.

“It’s a huge decision, and we really need to make sure that the schedule is driven by the future of the BHS, that will include proficiency-based learning opportunities and more flexible pathways,” she said.

Racicot said she anticipated that the process would take additional time.

“I think that the more voices you include the more any process gets slowed down, but it’s important decisions that are best for the community,” she said.

Racicot plans to release a statement shortly on the website that communicates the decision with parents and the student body. She said that the lack of ample time for teachers to plan for the change was also a contributing factor.

“That is a huge undertaking for teachers, and we need to be respectful of the time they put into planning their curriculum,” Racicot said.

She is supportive of the approach administration took to redesign the schedule this year, and has plans to carry over that work into the fall. The implementation of proficiency-based learning is driving the efforts behind creating a more flexible schedule.

Administration hopes to enact a new schedule by the 2018-19 school year, Racicot said.

SHARE
Previous articleREVIEW: Beauty and the Beast
Next articleOfficer Difranco: A Community Presence
Alexandre Silberman, 18, is a reporter and multimedia journalist. Outside of the BHS Register, his work has appeared in publications such as USA TODAY, the Huffington Post, the Burlington Free Press, the Addison County Independent and Kids VT Magazine. He is a former Al Neuharth Free Spirit Scholar, and runner up for National High School Journalist of the Year. Alexandre received the Journalism Education Association's Student Journalist Impact Award for his reporting on teacher contract negotiations. He currently serves as an Los Angeles Times HS Insider Youth Advisory Board Member. In April 2016, Alexandre travelled to Cuba to document the first American youth baseball exchange since the embargo. He enjoys hiking and reading in his spare time.

2 COMMENTS

  1. Does this mean the late start Wednesdays will continue as well? Because I think that should only continue of the bus system can support the later start time.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here